Tuesday, October 21

Eye piece was "over reactive humour"

Boston's newest councillor, Raymond Singleton-McGuire, takes us to task for a recent piece., which read:‘Meanwhile, we welcome Raymond Singleton-McGuire to the council, and hope that all three of them will settle in smoothly. Sadly, we think that Councillor RSM may have got off to a slightly aloof start, given that his entry on the irrepressibly lacklustre council web site omits an email address and offers only a convenient-to-switch-off mobile 'phone number rather than a land-line number where any constituent can eventually find him.’

He says: "I read with interest your web page on the various Boston political issues as often as possible. I do, however, feel on this occasion you may have missed out on the facts somewhat with your over reactive attempted humour and sensationalism regarding the above. Therefore, let me enlighten you somewhat. My landline was initially placed on the Council’s web page, but proved difficult for some constituents who wanted to contact me sooner rather than later. As most calls to me are made during the day when I’m not there to answer, I hope therefore, surely, you can see the benefits of using a mobile phone, which, by its very nature, is mobile! For your information, it was the general consensus of the constituents that my mobile number was used rather than my landline.
"I am somewhat at a loss as to your editorial comments stating: -
‘offers only a convenient-to-switch-off mobile 'phone number rather than a land-line number where any constituent can eventually find him.’
"Based on the above, I would like to know how you consider a landline which is not manned, and generally fixed in one place, can offer a better contact arrangement than a mobile. Surely, you must agree it is better to have a mobile turned off from time to time for various reasons such as a meeting etc., where it can take messages. Then, return calls can be made immediately afterwards, rather than return calls from a landline which, by its very nature has inherent delays.
"The email address is an easy one to answer. All Councillors have an email address at their respected local Council offices, as you will no doubt know. All emails are transferred to my private email address, so enabling me to collect and correspond from any location.
"I believe what I have explained is basic up-to-date technology, which is used by most, and if not, then there are systems in place for those of us/constituents who prefer to use other methods of contact. I can assure you no attempt has been put in place to either misguide or make contacting me difficult. In fact, completely the reverse. It therefore saddens me to read your attempted exercise in condemnation without first knowing the facts.
However, I would like to thank you for bringing the email issue to my attention. This is a temporary matter and the BBC IT department have assured me matters will be back to normal ASAP.

Raymond Singleton-McGuire Cllr

"P.S. I can assure you that whilst I may work as hard as three people, I am in fact, only one person!"

No comments: