Monday, December 15

Need for better opposition led to Storry resignation

There's clarification of the reasoning behind Councillor John Storry's decision to quit the Bypass Independents and operate as a purely independent councillor.
He tells another website: "Whatever the press may make of my resignation from the Boston Bypass Independents Party, Wyberton residents made the choice for me.
"The majority party decided to continue PRSA funding after the original agreement ended, but two months later the rules changed again!
"Local opinion polls show that 90% of residents wish to end the subsidy but council agreed new deal this week without any guarantee as to 'how much' or for 'how long'!
"In Wyberton everyone I spoke to said 'NO MORE' so, as their councillor, I had no other honourable choice but to vote against the motion.
"My subsequent resignation is based on the belief that, at present, the opposition is too weak to fully represent the will of the people, so joining them as an Independent councillor is all I can do to protect Wyberton’s interests.
"I hope you will agree with my decision and can accept my assurance that I shall continue to faithfully represent your views in council to the best of my ability."
Later, Councillor Storry told Boston Eye:-
"My reference to the PRSA issue was meant to explain to the electorate why I voted the way I did at the end of the council debate.
"The remainder of the comment was intended to portray why I resigned from the BBI Party. "Perhaps I did not make it as clear as I might have done that two entirely separate issues are involved; hence the comment :- 'My subsequent resignation is based on the belief that, at present, the opposition is too weak to fully represent the will of the people, so joining them as an Independent councillor is all I can do to protect Wyberton's interests.'
"I trust this clarifies the situation.
"With Kind regards
"Councillor John G Storry"
Boston Eye salutes Councillor Storry for his candour, and heartily endorses his comments about the weakness of opposition to the BBI juggernaut - in fact we expressed the wish for more independent councillors only a few days ago.
Maybe other councillors will now grasp the nettle....
Perhaps a letter to Santa.......?

Write to us at boston.eye@googlemail.com Your e-mail will be treated in confidence if requested.

No comments: