Tuesday, November 24

Bypass battle veteran quits over "negativity"

One of the longest battling campaigners for a Boston bypass has called it a day after reaction to his attempts to portray the battle in a realistic light.
Michael Borrill sent us the news in the following e-mail....
"Dear Boston Eye
"Since 2002 I have been actively involved in, first, voicing my concerns about the Southern Economic Corridor and Dock Link proposals for Boston.
"Following on from this I soon got involved with the groups pushing for a bypass for the town, and, over the years, have made my feelings known to Lincolnshire County Council, Boston Borough Council and the people of Boston through various forms of media.
"Following the election of a Boston Bypass Independent Council, it was wrongly assumed that a push would be made on Lincoln County Council to give Boston a fair share of the cake. "Unfortunately this did not happen, and we are now in a worse position concerning any road infrastructure help than under the previous administration.
"Lincolnshire County Council are now preparing the next Local Transport Plan, 3LTP, and although several towns are noted in the document, there is no mention of a bypass/distributor road for Boston.
"It is also noted that besides the above mentioned proposed roads, Lincoln City is also, together with Lincolnshire County Council, negotiating with Network Rail towards the elimination of the two rail crossings in the city. There is also discussion about the rail crossings in Spalding with a further bypass for the town. And as we know, Sleaford is also to get its rail crossing bridged by way of developer funding.
"My concern over the last few months has been the 'negative' comments I have heard in the town, and especially following the recent publication of the Ministers' remarks following his receipt of the Economic Report I had prepared. This was something that was already known, and Whitehall will only go on what is dictated by the Local Transport Plan. To get into the next period Boston must at least be in the 3LTP which is being prepared - hence my 'suggestion' that ALL our County Councillors seek a meeting with their Leader at LCC.
"I am dismayed beyond belief that the amount of backlash that has been directed against me for making this comment in the local press, which has been 'stirred up' to distract attention from the real issue which I was trying to present.
"An egoism complex springs to mind and my sympathy goes to my fellow residents of Boston, who will probably have to endure tailbacks from Johnson’ s Garden Centre on one side to The Four Crossroads on the other
"My age and health are running against me and although I have given my time and energy freely to the 'Bypass Cause' over the last seven years, the last few weeks have shown that I have little support in Boston for continuing my pursuit for a solution to our badly needed road infrastructure.
"I am, therefore, leaving the 'bypass scene' with immediate effect.
"I would like to give my sincere thanks to all those who have helped me over the last few years.
"Michael Borrill"

You can write to us at boston.eye@googlemail.com Your e-mails will be treated in confidence and published anonymously if requested.

No comments: