Thursday, May 12

Savouring the stew of
the political dumplings!

No double blog yesterday after all – but unlike the weather, the possibility looks brighter today.
Meanwhile,  and on a different tack from the past few days, revenge is a dish best served cold, and there is nothing that we could say about the departure of the BBI from the Boston political scene that could not be better said by someone in the know.
Four years ago, Councillor Brian Rush – newly returned as an Independent for Frampton and Holme - was part of the BBI landslide.
But within months, he had seen through its phoniness and quit to join other disenchanted members in the Better Boston Group.
Of his return to office, Councillor Rush tells Boston Eye:  “I would like to thank all the people of Frampton and Holme that have put their trust in me, by returning me as their Boston Borough Councillor for a further term of office. I was touched and encouraged by not just the high level of support but the many kind words and warm welcome, and cups of tea, I received during my leaflet campaign.
“The overall election results have proved that my reaction to the Boston Bypass Independents’ disgraceful abandonment of election promises in 2007, which resulted in my decision to resign from the group, was the right one.
“There were however some that criticised me for doing so, and suggested I should have resigned and activated a by-election, and this is a matter of opinion.
“It should be noted that I did at the time put myself before, and  sought the advice of both Frampton Parish Council and Kirton with Holme Parish Council, both of whom I serve, and they approved my continuance.
“The almost total rejection of the BBI by the people of Boston in this year’s election was a triumph of justice and commonsense.
“It is clear that the past four years have been a tragedy for this borough.
“The arrogant and incompetent behaviour of the ruling group has caused untold damage, which frustrated and angered opposition group members of all political persuasions.
“Could there be anyone who was surprised and not gleeful at the early dismissal of egocentrics such as Jordan, Clare, Newell, with his wife, and her brother in law Hobson.
“But I must admit I was even more pleased when Kirton dumped the biggest dumpling of all  - Dungworth.
“The BBI, foolishly, preferred to believe that even the simplest of observations, comments, reactions, or suggestions made by opposition members were simply troublesome and irritable rabble rousers.
“They refused to consider or examine alternative proposals, preferring instead to ignore, exclude, and isolate themselves from opposition members. Whilst hiding behind a huge cloak of secrecy! And refusing to allow open debate.
“I am hopeful that the new Conservative administration will commit themselves to being a more inclusive and open regime.
“I hope they will not be tempted to use the power of numbers to railroad their own political projects and proposals, in the way that had become common within the now discredited and thankfully discarded bypass party.
“I hope that they will remember how many times they got the blame for all Boston’s past problems.
“I believe that the Conservatives can utilise the skills and experience that is readily available around them without the assistance of the four remaining political blots.
“It appears to be the case that the hapless and deposed Richard Austin is already seeking to set himself up as the leader of the opposition, by shamelessly making unsuccessful approaches to true Independent members.
“He has learned nothing; it is this despicable pursuit of power that has lain at the very heart of his weakness.  How can he expect ever to be trusted again by anyone?  I for one never will.
“Let me say this.
“If we make promises we should keep them.
“If we cannot keep them, we should be brave enough to explain and apologise.
“If, however, we simply do not bother to keep them, then we should resign.
Which is it for you Councillor Austin?
You can write to us at boston.eye@googlemail.com Your e-mails will be treated in confidence and published anonymously if requested.

No comments: